Frequently Asked Questions:

Having been around since 1980, Reliable Builders & Contractors has acquired a wealth of knowledge and experience that you can draw upon to make your building needs easier. During any building work our team will always be happy to answer any questions that you have.

If you're looking for information immediately, listed below are some of the most common questions that our clients ask us.

Q: What is the difference between Planning Permission and Building Regulations?
A: Generally speaking, planning rules determine whether you are allowed to go ahead with a building projects and Building Regulations set standards for the design and construction of buildings to ensure the safety and health for people in or about those buildings.

Q: I would like to extend my house, what should I expect?
A: Dependant on size, a full planning application will need to be processed. This is no problem as one of our trusted representatives can call out and have a site meeting to distinguish and explain exactly what processes will occur through the application stage, Once permission is granted, a contract is drawn up fully itemising the schedule of works, and then a deposit of between 5% to 25% is obtained. Work can then commence on site when we have put all our correct precautions into place.

Q: Will I need a Building Control application to build an extension on my house?
A: Yes, although a porch at ground level, not exceeding 30m2 in area, which protects an external access door to a building is exempt, but the glazing must comply with Part L and N of the Regulations.

Q: Do I need to make a Building Control application to convert an attached garage into a room?
A: Yes, consideration of damp proofing, ventilation, means of escape and fire detection are some of the things that will need to be considered. Professional advice should be sought.

Q: Do you provide a warranty with your work?
A: Yes all our work comes with a standard 12 month warranty, and we can offer up to a 10 year insurance backed warranty with the Build Assure building protection.

Q: Will I need to make a Building Control application to build a detached garage?
A: No, provided it does not exceed 30m2 in floor area and is either built substantially of non-combustible material or is not less than one metre from a dwelling or boundary of the site or a road.

Q: Do I need to make a Building Control application for a conservatory or porch?
A: No, providing it is an extension to a building, is at ground level, and has a floor area not exceeding 30m2. Conservatories must have at least 75% of the roof and 50% of the external wall made of translucent material. Glazing must conform to Building Regulations. Any heating must be controlled.

Q: Do I need to make a Building Control application to remove internal walls, remove the chimney breast or make internal structural alterations?
A: Yes, alterations of a structural nature require Building Control approval. Generally the installation of a beam or lintel is required. The advice of a Structural Engineer may be necessary. If in doubt, ask us.

For complete building and construction services call

024 7641 7371

Beautiful patios and home extensions
Share by: